Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm a Drug Head Now

Well, I finally went the doctor and the dentist last Thursday. I have been putting it off for about 3 years. I was blessed with good teeth genes, because I don't take very good care of them but my teeth are still in good shape.

The OB/GYN put gave me a prescription for Metformin to treat my PCOS and we she did blood work to start treating my thyroid. I was doing some research on the Medoformin and if it works properly, it should fix virtually all of my health problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not counting on anything. So far the only side effect is that is messes up my stomach. If it works, the benefits will far out weigh the negatives. The doctor said that I wouldn't be on any kind of birth control and was I ok with getting pregnant. It was hard to not laugh at her. Partly because it's pretty doubtful I would get pregnant and partly because I have been trying to have a baby for 10 years, so yes....I think I would be ok with it.

I saw my doctor's office on TLC's show "17 Kids and Counting" with the Duggar family. It was pretty cool to see somewhere I had just been on TV. They must be good at what they do if one woman has had over a dozen kids there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are on a good path with the doctor and your health. I think you inherited your good teeth from me didn't you. I'm 48 and still have no cavities. Love you, Dad.

J and S said...

It doesn't fix all your health problems but you certainly feel tons better...I'm down 25 lbs now. I've been sick with sinus stuff the last week, but other than that I feel really good. I ran across a football field twice yesterday...then immediately up the stairs....and that was with Kirby, He is pretty fast...so I was pretty proud of myself. I hope you feel better too. Good luck with the Dr. My next appointment is on the 24th. Hopefully, I have better news.

Lauralee said...

Hey, the metformin worked for my PCOS. I was able to get pregnant both times on that. It worked well. The first kid took 3 years, so I can't imagine how frustrating 10+ years must be!!!

Shannon Seay said...

I wonder if there is something in the water in Clinton. All my friends from Clinton that I grew up with have some kind of fertility issue: PCOS, endometriosis (sp?), ovarian cancer, etc...

It makes me wonder. I'm glad to hear that Metoformin worked for you. I have been able to get pregnant in the past but not able to carry a baby to term. I have lost 4 babies all for different reasons.

Steve and I are planning to adopt in a couple years so I'm not taking the Metformin to get pregnant but to treat the PCOS and help with some of it's other symptoms. However, if it helps me get pregnant and have a healthy baby, I would be estatic!

LauraBee said...

Hi, Shannon. Just read your post. I also have PCOS. I've struggled with it all of my adult life. in 2002, I asked the doctor if I could take Avandia (at that time, it was still considered experimental), and within just a few months I was pregnant with Connie. Thankfully, even though my pregnancy and delivery were difficult, Connie came out just fine. And, since then, although I no longer take anything for PCOS, I've been so regular that I can predict exactly which day I'll be needing protection. It's astounding.

At the very least, you'll start feeling much better. And there is new research that shows that PCOS may be a mild form of Cushing's Syndrome, in which the Adrenal glands are over-active, causing the PCOS symptoms of insulin-resistance, weight gain and infertility. I wish you health and happiness. Hugs, Laura

Elisa said...

Wow, I didn't know you guys were planning to adopt! That is awesome! I'm glad you have all of this going for you. You deserve this happiness. Oh, and way to go on those teeth. They may have screwed up your woman junk in Clinton, but at least you have flouride-filled water to keep those teeth clean!